Friday, January 30, 2015

Welcome




I am excited to welcome you to the Consumer Financial Services Litigation and Compliance Blog where I will post updates of what’s going on with the CFPB, the FTC, various litigation involving consumer protection statutes, and, in general, about all things related to consumer financial services.   

I am an attorney, practicing law in Raleigh North Carolina with a mid size full service law firm.  Through the years I have practiced with both mid sized firms and large regional firms.  Since 1992, I have devoted my practice to representing the credit industry. The majority of my practice is focused on representing the consumer financial services industry in litigation and regulatory matters.  I also provide advice to clients regarding a variety of compliance issues.  I’ve presented on a variety of consumer protection topics for both state wide and national organizations.  I have been quoted in the American Banker on issues involving the FDCPA.  Day in and day out, I deal with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and other consumer protection statutes.  This is an area of the law which changes daily and those changes keep me both fascinated and on my toes.

My law firm, Smith Debnam, is located in Raleigh, North Carolina and is a mid sized full service law firm.  We have a large contingent of attorneys who represent the credit industry.  In 2014, Smith Debnam received the 2014 International Compliance and Ethics Award, presented by the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE). The SCCE selected Smith Debnam for being the first law firm in the U.S. to implement a comprehensive compliance program under the guard of a full-time compliance officer.  Smith Debnam was also selected in 2015 as a “Best Law Firm” by US News and World ReportI will post often and regularly regarding the latest happenings with the CFPB, regulatory enforcement actions from the CFPB and FTC, as well as trends in the case law as I see them.  

One thing you should note if you are reading this blog: the information contained in this blog is not intended as legal advice.  Your use of this blog does not create an attorney client relationship. While this blog may contain information about legal issues and legal developments, they are intended for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments.  These informational materials are not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances.  You should contact an attorney for advice on specific legal problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment